Thursday, September 30, 2010

Replacing Rear Disc Brakes Part 3






As you might have guessed this is part 3 of 3, I will put links in the video and in this description to guide you to the other parts. There really is more to this video than just replacing the rear brakes. I had some trouble during this procedure and decided to keep it on video to help you in the event you ran into any of these problems. I've also added how I jack up a vehicle from the rear. In short this one is packed with a bunch of stuff that I hope you find helpful in addition to just replacing the rear pads and rotors. Link to part 1 www.youtube.com Link to part 2 www.youtube.com Visit me at EricTheCarGuy.com ericthecarguy.com Be safe and stay dirty. ETCG Due to factors beyond the control of EricTheCarGuy, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modifications of this information, or improper use of this information. EricTheCarGuy assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this video. EricTheCarGuy recommends safe practices when working with power tools, automotive lifts, lifting tools, jack stands, electrical equipment, blunt instruments, chemicals, lubricants, or any other tools or equipment seen or implied in this video. Due to factors beyond the control of EricTheCarGuy, no information contained in this video shall create any express or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. Any injury, damage or loss that may result from improper use of these tools, equipment, or the information ...








As I state in the video DONOT use this information for illegal purposes, it is intended to HELP you if you happen to loose your wheel lock key. As with most things that I do with cars this didn't go exactly as planned, in fact there is a significant amount of time between me getting the socket hammered onto the wheel lock and when it actually broke loose, I took a break to work on other things. I also said in the video that they make a special socket for removing wheel locks that makes this a lot easier, do a search for this and you will probably find a set of them. If you can't find one of these sockets then this might be an option for you to try. The best thing is to try not to loose the lock key in the first place but I realize that this may not always be possible so I made this video for you. Stop by and see me at EricTheCarGuy.com anytime and post video or text responses at will. ericthecarguy.comStay dirty ETCG Due to factors beyond the control of EricTheCarGuy, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modifications of this information, or improper use of this information. EricTheCarGuy assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this video. EricTheCarGuy recommends safe practices when working with power tools, automotive lifts, lifting tools, jack stands, electrical equipment, blunt instruments, chemicals, lubricants, or any other tools or equipment seen or implied in this video. Due to factors ...

44 comments:

  1. @Zbox3000 Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eric u are the best at would u do

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mn09lfV6f good luck with your ASE

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mn09lfV6f Thanks for the comment and good luck with your ASE's. To be honest I don't remember the details of the video but I was probably referring to not forcing fluid back to the master but to instead bleed off the fluid at the bleeder to help prevent damage to the master and possibly making a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @412991 You just made comment of the day, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome eric, great video

    ReplyDelete
  7. You gave me the bollocks to replace my rear brakes on my Mustang. The amount of money that you saved me with you taking time to share your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. I had fun and I got dirty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @fraternica I'm glad I could help. I make videos based on the cars that come into my shop so I can't necessarily make videos on demand but I plan on being at this a while and hope to cover a wide range of issues and repair. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for making these videos! I might not even have to ask my brother to help me the next time I'll change the brake discs and pads :)
    Also, I have a small request. Could you make a video on how to replace the brake fluid hoses? I know I would be very appreciative :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @elbelcho Thanks for the great comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Spiegel420 I like happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @boost3782 I think I answered this in an email the other day, let me know if it wasn't you and I'll go over it again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent series of videos. Really excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. btw I did it with a screw driver, but its was the big plus sign so it wasnt to bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eric thanks for taking the time to make these videos! You have helped me to change some old habits and have seen some better results in doing so on things. Quick question for you. How do you handle vehicles with stainless steel brake lines? I have alway removed the MC cap and using a clean rag taken some fluid out and then pressed the caliper in. What would be a better way of doing this? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @JUDGERAMBO The silver is just fine, I prefer the copper colored stuff however, it seems to last longer but that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The anti seize (copper colored) you used in the video, Is the silver colored anti seize ok to use ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. @therockkkkher #1) I don't really feel comfortable 'endorsing' a particular brand but I will say to avoid brake parts that come in a plain white box. #2) no, doing a brake job should not effect the alignment. #3) I don't do alignments at my shop but I have done several over the years, you need a special machine to do that kind of work and they are pretty expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @therockkkkher Glad to have you aboard. I'm on a backlog right now but I will be making that video ASAP. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  20. definately looking out for that machining brake parts video, keep living rebel fab. !!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @therockkkkher Depends on what the costumer wants and can afford. Even if you use OE calipers they are most likely going to be remanufactured. The point is to use quality parts whenever possible. Yes, I do machine rotors, in fact I hope to make a video on machining brake parts soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @therockkkkher I don't torque calipers other than by "feel".

    ReplyDelete
  23. YOU are awesome! Nice vids man!

    ReplyDelete
  24. @kevrs2 I like your style, thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  25. used that technic before myself ,i used a cheap socket that split but it still done the job ,and anyway i just put the socket in the vice closed the split and welded it ,good as new .good luck

    ReplyDelete
  26. @jasongrim A couple of coat hangers usually does the trick for me. Mythbusters did a thing once on using a tennis ball, it was pretty cool really.

    ReplyDelete
  27. good vid. can you make one on how to remove a car boot? in case i ever ... lose my key

    ReplyDelete
  28. @adioo890 I like simple. You might look for that leak using some soapy water, the leak will show up as a bunch of bubbles where the leak is. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Man dude you are awesome! seriously keep this stuff up, i lost my lock nut few months ago and i didnt have a clue on what to do... i worry about it now cuz my tire keeps getting low and i gotta fix it. i looked online and almost everywhere where i go is just complicated stuff. yours is just simple.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @mitsucanter247365 See episode 1.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @EricTheCarGuy Its not really a good idea to pull up towards your self with enough force to loosen a stubborn bolt, so i wouldnt label it as a good idea, but it is considered an incorrect way to do things, perhaps you have hang ups about being told safe working methods. Youd probably feel a bit guilty if even one person injured them selves while using your "prefered" method. But hey, if eric does it that way, it MUST be right.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @33ruy Your very welcome, thats what I'm here for, thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  33. @ironmangiant1 It's great when my viewers actually benefit, thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  34. @mitsucanter247365 I can say that I agree with part of what you say in that pushing with an open hand is a good idea and you don't want to strain a shoulder or back when doing this kind of work but seriously do you have to label those things as 'wrong' or just a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  35. this works!! i used this method yesterday on my truck!

    ReplyDelete
  36. would this work for a lock that goes in

    ReplyDelete
  37. @TheLonelySoulja Probably, depends on it's outer diameter and if the socket you use fits snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  38. @Marc816 It might, to be honest I've never tried it on those since I have those lugs on my car which means I have a key.

    ReplyDelete
  39. @Marc816 No worries, I sometimes feel that way when I wake up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sorry for the quadruple post, but something went wrong somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sorry for the quadruple post, but something went wrong somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  42. Would this work on locks with tapered sides?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Would this work on locks that have tapered sides?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Would this work on locks that have tapered sides?

    ReplyDelete